Space Industry and Business News
MISSILE NEWS
Yemen Huthis say launched missiles at Israel, US warship
Yemen Huthis say launched missiles at Israel, US warship
by AFP Staff Writers
Sanaa (AFP) Mar 27, 2025

The Iran-backed Huthis said Thursday they targeted an Israeli airport and army site as well as a US warship, soon after Israel reported intercepting missiles launched from Yemen.

The Huthis "targeted Ben Gurion airport... with a ballistic missile... and a military target" south of Tel Aviv, their military spokesman Yahya Saree said.

Earlier Thursday, the Israeli military said it intercepted two missiles launched from Yemen "prior to crossing into Israeli territory" after it activated air raid sirens across multiple areas, including Jerusalem.

Saree said the rebels also "targeted hostile warships in the Red Sea, including the American aircraft carrier (USS Harry S) Truman," which he said was "in retaliation to the ongoing US aggression against our country".

The United States launched what its Central Command called a "large scale operation" involving air strikes against the Huthis on March 15.

Washington vowed to use overwhelming force until they stopped firing on vessels in the key shipping routes of the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden after the rebels threatened to resume attacks over the Gaza war.

The Huthis have since reported near-daily US air strikes on areas under their control.

- Rebels say 2 killed -

Earlier Thursday, the rebels said two people had been killed in overnight air strikes near the rebel-controlled capital Sanaa that they blamed on the United States.

The Huthis' Al-Masirah TV channel reported nearly 20 strikes on Sanaa governorate, both north and south of the capital.

"The American aggression killed two and injured two," the Huthi-run health ministry's spokesman Anis al-Asbahi said on social media platform X.

Al-Masirah also reported strikes early Thursday in Saada, the Iran-backed rebels' northern stronghold which Huthi media had said was hit 17 times the day before.

While the United States does not always report these raids, a United States defence official told AFP on Sunday that American forces were "conducting strikes across multiple locations of Iran-backed Huthi locations every day and night in Yemen".

The latest strikes claimed by the Huthis come with Washington embroiled in scandal linked to the March 15 strikes. The Atlantic Magazine published the transcript of messages accidentally shared with its editor in a chat group of senior US officials on Signal, a commercially available messaging app.

The magazine on Thursday published details of the March 15 attack plans, which it initially withheld, after the White House insisted no classified details were involved.

In response to the US strikes, the Huthis have claimed responsibility for multiple attacks on the Truman carrier group off Yemen's coast, as well as projectiles fired at Israel.

The Huthis began targeting shipping vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden after the start of the Gaza war, claiming solidarity with the Palestinian people, but paused their campaign when a ceasefire in Gaza took effect in January.

Earlier this month, they threatened to renew the attacks in the vital maritime trade route over Israel's aid blockade on the Palestinian territory, triggering the first US strikes on Yemen since President Donald Trump took office in January.

Related Links
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
MISSILE NEWS
Iran unveils missile systems on strategic Gulf islands
Tehran (AFP) Mar 22, 2025
Iran's Revolutionary Guards have unveiled new missile systems on three strategic islands in the Gulf, saying they can target nearby "enemy bases, vessels, and assets", state media reported Saturday. The weapons were deployed on Greater Tunb, Lesser Tunb, and Abu Musa near the Strait of Hormuz, a globally vital shipping lane. The Guards recently held military manoeuvres in the area. Saturday's announcement comes with Iran poised to respond to a letter from US President Donald Trump urging a r ... read more

MISSILE NEWS
Sidus Space Expands Presence in Asia With Orlaith AI and FeatherEdge Technology

BlueHalo achieves milestone with advanced laser communication system

Airbus adopts Astroscale Gen 2 docking plates for enhanced satellite sustainability

Iraqis find Ramadan joy in centuries-old ring game

MISSILE NEWS
Unseenlabs opens Singapore office to boost Asia Pacific operations

European satellite group ready to step up for Kyiv's military: CEO

Researchers establish new basis for quantum sensing and communication

Rivada and Amentum Collaborate to Enhance Secure Government Communications

MISSILE NEWS
MISSILE NEWS
Maxar unveils Raptor software suite for GPS-free navigation in autonomous systems

ESA's Mobile Navigation Lab Tackles Arctic Interference Testing

Chip based microcombs boost gps precision

Unlocking the future of satellite navigation with smart techniques

MISSILE NEWS
Retrofits deliver major progress in reducing aircraft noise

PACIFIC project targets cleaner skies through fuel innovation

France's Dassault says upping Rafale warplane output

Electra secures 2200 aircraft pre-orders for hybrid-electric aviation leap

MISSILE NEWS
Device enables direct communication among multiple quantum processors

SoftBank to acquire US semiconductor firm Ampere for $6.5 billion

Malaysia's Silicon Valley ambitions face tough challenges

SatixFy expands satellite tech supply deals with MDA Space surpassing 10 million dollars

MISSILE NEWS
Planet collaborates with ESA to advance Greek satellite services

ICEYE expands satellite fleet with latest launch and unveils advanced Gen4 imaging system

Pixxel satellites deliver groundbreaking hyperspectral imaging milestone

Advancing satellite methods for mapping coastal seabeds

MISSILE NEWS
Chewing gum releases microplastics into mouth: researchers

Over a billion pounds of Coke plastic waste to enter waterways: study

'Surf and turf' protest in Spain against factory, mine

Poisoned legacy of Albania's steel city

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.