Space Industry and Business News
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
One dead, two missing in Ecuador bridge collapse; N. Macedonia buries victims of deadly nightclub fire
One dead, two missing in Ecuador bridge collapse; N. Macedonia buries victims of deadly nightclub fire
by AFP Staff Writers
Guayaquil, Ecuador (AFP) Mar 20, 2025

At least one person was killed and two others were missing after a busy 200-meter (656-foot) suspension bridge in Ecuador collapsed, tipping several vehicles into a river, local authorities said Thursday.

Four trucks, a car and two motorbikes fell into the Magro river some 50 kilometers (31 miles) north of the port of Guayaquil when the viaduct collapsed on Wednesday, the ministry for risk management said.

At least five people were injured.

At one end of the bridge, the trailer of a truck carrying a load of corn lay onto its side, teetering over the guardrail.

The bridge connects the province of Guayas, where Guayaquil is situated, with other provinces in the north.

Guayas governor Marcela Aguinaga said she had received no reports of it being faulty.

"From what we can deduce at this point, the bridge was overloaded," she added on social network X.

The bridge's collapse comes in the middle of the rainy season in the Andean nation.

At least 20 people have been killed in flooding and landslides that have damaged 45 bridges, according to the risk management ministry.

'A tsunami of tears': N. Macedonia buries victims of deadly nightclub fire
Kocani, Republic Of North Macedonia (AFP) Mar 20, 2025 - Hundreds of people clutching red and white roses and wearing T-shirts with their loved ones' faces gathered in a small town in North Macedonia on Thursday to bury victims of a devastating nightclub fire.

Fifty-nine people were killed and nearly 200 others were injured in the blaze that ripped through Club Pulse in the eastern town of Kocani during a hip-hop concert last Sunday, in one of Europe's deadliest nightclub fires.

The incident was the worst loss of life in the Balkan country since 1993, and has prompted scrutiny of nightclubs and discotheques after it was found that the venue had been operating under a forged licence.

Large crowds gathered at the Kocani cemetery under a clear blue sky from late morning. The mourners' sobs broke the silence as the ceremony started, with medical personnel helping some who fainted.

The funeral services at the packed cemetery chapel were conducted by the country's highest-ranking cleric, Archbishop Stefan, head of the Orthodox Church of North Macedonia.

"There are no words strong enough to console the loss of such young children," the archbishop told the congregation. "What we can do is ensure that such accidents never happen again."

Of the 59 victims, six were aged under 18, the local prosecutor's office said on Thursday.

- Accountability -

In the town centre, well-wishers filled a book of condolences and left flowers and candles in front of dozens of pictures of the victims.

"The loss, the grieving for the deceased, the river of tears -- it's not a river, it's a tsunami of tears," said one mourner, Nikola.

Kocani was a close-knit town but was now "dead" with the loss of "a whole generation of young people who were supposed to make this town proud", he added.

Nikola, in his twenties, called for a full investigation to find those responsible for the blaze and bring them to book.

"My friends are dead, some of my closest friends are dead. It's a very, very sad thing to witness... It's one of the saddest moments in the history of this town, this country."

Death announcements have been plastered across Kocani, including on tree trunks. Passers-by stop to read the names of the dead.

Funerals are also being held in the capital, Skopje, and five other towns.

- Corruption -

"What can I say?" said Mitko Petrusev, 65. "We're not in a position to speak now. Kocani is a dead town. It's a small town. We're all neighbours, friends, members of the same family," he added.

He accused the authorities of not doing their job for years. "Corruption is everywhere," he added before joining other residents at the funerals.

"How can I not go? Half of the dead boys are my cousins, my friends, my mates. For us it's a difficult day," he said.

Petrusev voiced anger at those who have been "plundering Macedonia for 30 years". "Everyone who comes to power plunders, then another comes along, plunders and leaves. Nothing works as it should."

"This discotheque has been operating for years and everyone knows it."

Most of the Club Pulse victims were young people. Some 250 tickets were sold but according to North Macedonia's interior ministry 500 people packed the club when the blaze erupted.

The fire appears to have broken out when sparks from fireworks ignited a flammable ceiling and spread to the roof, triggering a stampede, according to investigations.

The day after the fire, the authorities promised swift action to verify nightclub licences.

"To date, 28 people have been identified as suspects, three of whom are in hospital, 18 are detained in pre-trial detention, and seven police officers are under investigation and are also in custody," Ljupco Kocevski, the state public prosecutor said.

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
UN chief condemns 'intolerable' suffering in Gaza
Geneva (AFP) Mar 18, 2025
UN chief Antonio Guterres on Tuesday said Gazans were being subjected to an "intolerable level of suffering" following the most intense Israeli airstrikes in Gaza since a fragile ceasefire took effect. The strikes, by far the deadliest since the truce came into force on January 19, killed more than 400 people, according to the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza. "Unfortunately, we are witnessing a situation in which we have an intolerable level of suffering for the Palestinian people, with the ai ... read more

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Iraqis find Ramadan joy in centuries-old ring game

Inner space technology push for next-gen European space microchips

Prospect of copper mine reopening revives tensions in Panama

Eco-friendly rare earth element separation: A bioinspired solution to an industry challenge

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Unseenlabs opens Singapore office to boost Asia Pacific operations

European satellite group ready to step up for Kyiv's military: CEO

Researchers establish new basis for quantum sensing and communication

Rivada and Amentum Collaborate to Enhance Secure Government Communications

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
ESA's Mobile Navigation Lab Tackles Arctic Interference Testing

Chip based microcombs boost gps precision

Unlocking the future of satellite navigation with smart techniques

ESA advances optical technology for next-generation navigation

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Retrofits deliver major progress in reducing aircraft noise

France's Dassault says upping Rafale warplane output

Electra secures 2200 aircraft pre-orders for hybrid-electric aviation leap

Macron says France to 'increase' orders for Rafale warplanes

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Advancing ultrafast spintronics for future memory and computing applications

SoftBank to acquire US semiconductor firm Ampere for $6.5 billion

Malaysia's Silicon Valley ambitions face tough challenges

SatixFy expands satellite tech supply deals with MDA Space surpassing 10 million dollars

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
ICEYE expands satellite fleet with latest launch and unveils advanced Gen4 imaging system

Pixxel satellites deliver groundbreaking hyperspectral imaging milestone

Sidus Space launches third LizzieSat satellite with enhanced onboard AI

Greece rides a weather 'rollercoaster'

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
'Surf and turf' protest in Spain against factory, mine

Separatist group presses boycott over 'ecocide' in Papua

Chewing gum releases microplastics into mouth: researchers

Greenpeace's biggest operations

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.