Space Industry and Business News
AEROSPACE
Boeing to build $20B next-generation F-47 fighter
Boeing to build $20B next-generation F-47 fighter
by Simon Druker
Washington DC (UPI) Mar 21, 2025

The Boeing Company will produce the next generation of fighter jets for the U.S. military, President Donald Trump announced at a news conference Friday.

"The F-47 will be the most advanced, most capable, most lethal aircraft ever built," Trump said in the Oval Office while announcing the $20 billion contract.

Boeing beat out rival Lockheed Martin to win the contract for the Next Generation Air Dominance program.

The plane will be dubbed the F-47 and eventually replace the military's existing 187 operational F-22 Raptor fighter jets built by Lockheed Martin.

"An experimental version of the plane has secretly been flying for almost five years, and we're confident that it massively overpowers capabilities of any other nation," Trump told reporters at the White House, flanked by Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth

"It's something the likes that no one has seen before."

The sixth-generation jet fighter is meant to be able to fight next to unmanned aerial vehicles or drones, something seen as a major part of future air combat.

In 2009, then Secretary of Defense Bob Gates canceled the F-22 Raptor program, after just under half of the 381 jets originally ordered were delivered.

The new F-47s are meant to augment and eventually replace the existing F-22s, the last of which were delivered in 2012.

Gates argued at the time that the 5th generation 5th generation stealth air-superiority fighter with ground attack capabilities was no longer required, as the United States was no longer engaged in wars requiring significant air-to-air combat missions.

Congress later considered restarting the program in 2017 but ultimately embraced Lockheed Martin's F-35 Lightning as the American military's principal manned fighter. The F-35s cost between $82 million and $102 million depending on the variant with orders for up to 1,760 of the jets.

Several American allies fly the planes while the program to build them factored in battlefield continuity. It has also been criticized for cost overruns and delays.

In 2023, Canada became the latest country to buy the planes, when it signed an order for 88 of the fighter jets to replace its aging McDonnell Douglas-built CF-18 Hornets.

Trump says Boeing won next-generation F-47 fighter jet contract
Washington (AFP) Mar 21, 2025 - Donald Trump announced Friday that Boeing has been awarded the contract for the Air Force's next-generation stealth fighter plane, which the 47th US president said would be named the F-47.

"Nothing in the world comes even close to it, and it'll be known as the F-47. The generals picked a title, and it's a beautiful number, F-47," said Trump at the White House.

The announcement is a boon for Boeing, which struggled last year with a lengthy labor strike and safety problems on its civilian airliners.

The contract aims to develop the replacement for the F-22 jet -- which has been in operation for some two decades -- with a new, more advanced aircraft able to operate alongside uncrewed drones.

"After a rigorous and thorough competition between some of America's top aerospace companies, the Air Force is going to be awarding the contract for the Next Generation Air Dominance (NGAD) platform to Boeing," Trump said in televised remarks in the Oval Office.

He said the price of the contract could not be revealed for security reasons.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, speaking alongside Trump, said the new aircraft "sends a very direct, clear message to our allies that we're not going anywhere, and to our enemies that... we will be able to project power around the globe unimpeded for generations to come."

Boeing said in a statement that the NGAD selection "builds on Boeing's fighter legacy and establishes a new global standard for 6th generation capability."

Boeing is also competing with Northrop Grumman for a contract for the US Navy's next-generation aircraft.

- 'Virtually unseeable' -

Lockheed Martin, which was also in the running for the Air Force contract, said it was "disappointed with this outcome," but was "confident we delivered a competitive solution."

The NGAD effort was paused in 2024 over cost concerns -- a major focus of the Trump administration, which has tasked billionaire donor Elon Musk with slashing government spending through the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE).

The Congressional Budget Office estimated in 2018 that the NGAD airframe could cost up to $300 million apiece -- significantly more than various other aircraft currently in the US inventory.

In 2024, "officials cast doubt on whether the Air Force could afford to develop the NGAD alongside programs including the B-21 Raider bomber and the Minuteman III ICBM replacement," the Congressional Research Service said in a report earlier this year.

A senior Air Force officer said earlier this month that the service conducted a study following the pause, which concluded that "not only in the past, not only in the present but in the future, air superiority matters."

"What this study told us is we tried a whole bunch of different options and there is no more viable option than NGAD to achieve air superiority in this highly contested environment," Major General Joseph Kunkel told the AFA Warfare Symposium in Colorado.

The F-47 will replace the F-22 Raptor, which features stealth technology, a high degree of maneuverability and the ability to supercruise, or maintain supersonic flight without afterburners.

Little is known about the capabilities of the F-47, but Trump said the new jet will be "virtually unseeable" with unmatched maneuverability and power, and the ability to fly "with many drones, as many as we want, and that's something that no other plane can do."

Related Links
Aerospace News at SpaceMart.com

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
AEROSPACE
Germany says it's committed to order of US F-35 fighter jets
Berlin (AFP) Mar 21, 2025
Germany said on Friday it was committed to buying F-35 fighter jets despite reports that it was reconsidering due to worries about an over-reliance on American defence supplies. Countries across Europe have been alarmed by US President Donald Trump casting doubt on future transatlantic ties. On Thursday, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung daily reported that German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius was planning to consult with top military officials over security issues related to the jets and other US-mad ... read more

AEROSPACE
BlueHalo achieves milestone with advanced laser communication system

Iraqis find Ramadan joy in centuries-old ring game

Inner space technology push for next-gen European space microchips

Prospect of copper mine reopening revives tensions in Panama

AEROSPACE
Unseenlabs opens Singapore office to boost Asia Pacific operations

European satellite group ready to step up for Kyiv's military: CEO

Researchers establish new basis for quantum sensing and communication

Rivada and Amentum Collaborate to Enhance Secure Government Communications

AEROSPACE
AEROSPACE
ESA's Mobile Navigation Lab Tackles Arctic Interference Testing

Chip based microcombs boost gps precision

Unlocking the future of satellite navigation with smart techniques

ESA advances optical technology for next-generation navigation

AEROSPACE
Boeing to build $20B next-generation F-47 fighter

Germany says it's committed to order of US F-35 fighter jets

Retrofits deliver major progress in reducing aircraft noise

France's Dassault says upping Rafale warplane output

AEROSPACE
Device enables direct communication among multiple quantum processors

Advancing ultrafast spintronics for future memory and computing applications

SoftBank to acquire US semiconductor firm Ampere for $6.5 billion

Malaysia's Silicon Valley ambitions face tough challenges

AEROSPACE
ICEYE expands satellite fleet with latest launch and unveils advanced Gen4 imaging system

Pixxel satellites deliver groundbreaking hyperspectral imaging milestone

Sidus Space launches third LizzieSat satellite with enhanced onboard AI

Greece rides a weather 'rollercoaster'

AEROSPACE
'Surf and turf' protest in Spain against factory, mine

Separatist group presses boycott over 'ecocide' in Papua

Chewing gum releases microplastics into mouth: researchers

Greenpeace's biggest operations

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.